[ale] Mandrake 10.0. was, Dual Boot WinXP Pro + Fedora Core 1

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Apr 28 16:05:47 EDT 2004

William,

    See below:

Nathan J. Underwood
Cyber Tech Cafe' <><
http://www.cybertechcafe.net

William Bagwell wrote:

>On Saturday 24 April 2004 08:50 am, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
>

>>Well,  I've got my dual-boot box up and running (3 partitions, linux,
>>doze, and data),
>>

>Hopefully not in that order.  I would suggest, Doze, data, Linux.  And if the
>data is to be shared, make it Fat so both can write to it.

** I boo boo'd before.  It is doze, data, linux.  It actually would work
any other way.

>>but I'm going to do it over again to see if I can
>>figure out what went wrong.  But, in the meantime, feel free to take a
>>stab at this.  It would *only* install if the partition available was
>>
>> >=25G.  I resized, retried, resized, retried (the error I kept getting
>>
>>was regarding insufficient disk size, so this made sense at the time),
>>and 25GB seemed to be the magic number.  I even formatted the drive and
>>started the process over again (I've now built a dual-boot box 3 times,
>>I'm starting to get proficient at it B-) ) thinking maybe I'd done
>>something wrong earlier.  Any idea why it wouldn't install on a 10G
>>partition?
>>

>No, not unless it is the reverse of something I have seen with Mandrake.  In
>rereading the whole thread, it looks like you are manually partitioning.  I
>have had auto-allocate fail with Mandrake when it is not *all* of the
>remaining space.  For example, 10 Gig hd with 4 for doze, auto-allocate will
>partition the remaining 6, 40 Gig drive with 8 for Windows, it will not auto
>partition a 10Gig "space".  Seem to recall an illogical error message similar
>to the one your getting.  Manually creating and sizing allways seems to work
>for me.
>
>I would try the four steps posted by James P. Kinney first.  It just seems
>right...  If that does not work, then just for grins try an (approximately) 4
>Gig /, swap, 6 Gig /home in that order.  (no separate /boot)

** I also try to stay away from the auto-allocate feature, and just
manually size each partition myself.  Ultimately, I installed WinXP on a
15G partition, setup a 15G partition for data, and then 100M boot, 1G
swap, and the rest /