[ale] Organizing data

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 28 09:39:41 EDT 2004

Jason Etheridge wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>> You really can't define it.  What you do is ask people that have
>>> experienced stuff like this and they tell you what has worked and not
>>> worked.  Then you determine what is right.
>>

>> So you're saying you want to write code you don't understand???
>

> Personally, I would implement a few different methods and test and
> benchmark them to see which was better with regards to performance.  But
> as for what is best for readability and maintainability, I might would
> be tempted to get away from perl altogether (though it is my favorite
> language at the moment).

There's usually a balance between readability and efficiency.  Not
always, but usually.  The bottom line is, you need to look ahead,
knowing that the code you produce will be supportable.  Efficiency
without supportability is useless.

Personally, any language can be written to be readable, and/or
obsfucate.  If you have code that's complex, you comment it appropriately.

Perl is no more or less readable or maintainable then any other language
when properly written (that includes commented).