[ale] snmptrapsd reporting, um, er - flawed logic

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Apr 27 07:59:11 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 21:13, BruceG wrote:
> I guess that about covers it. I suffered from some flawed logic in setting up
> logging from my Linksys router to my dual-boot SuSE 9.0/WinME desktop. As
> long as SuSE is up and running, I get all the log messages. Pretty cool. I
> thought the p*rn surfing was done. Told the kids. Set up reporting. No more
> p*rn.
>
> Yeah, right! I logged into the router and checked logs out that way, to see if
> they look like what I'm getting on my desktop. And found that the dual-boot
> PC is booted into Windows for looking at inappropriate stuff.

I have a 1 year old daughter and hopefully in 2 years I'll get a boy :)

This give me plenty of time to think about this and talk it over with
friends in the same position.  What I've decided to do is implement
squid to block everything.  I will then add only approved sites to the
list.  I will also use iptables to protect them even more.  By then
(8yrs +/-) I will use whatever the standard on Linux is and implement
those ideas.  It is impossible to block all the porn sites because I do
not know them.  But if I block everything and only allow what I approve
that will make my job much easier and realistic.

So this idea might work for you.  Block everything and then only add
supported sites.  They have to ask you to add sites to the list.

> Looks like it's time to pick up a second-hand PII or PIII and set up a proxy
> server. Kids are a lot quicker at figuring things out, lol

Reminds me of my teenage years on BBS's :)