[ale] Modern-Day Linux Wireless

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Apr 24 08:46:42 EDT 2004

Vincent Fox wrote:
> I like the SMC 2532W-B card. It's a PRISM 2.5 chipset so
> relatively wide support. Only 802.11b but it's a 200 mW card
> and coupled with an external blade antenna clipped to the back
> of my old laptop, can connect at ranges other cards are
> saying "signal, what signal?" Found at MicroCenter
> with rebate about $50.

Well, I was successful in getting my 3com g card to talk to my smc ez
connect pci card.  Both are prism54 chips.  Fast, very fast.  I picked
up the smc card at Compusa for $79 and it has a $40 rebate, so if the
rebate comes through, that's $29.  I've seen the 3com card for sale on
line for a bit over $54:

http://3com.links.origin.channelintelligence.com/pages/prices.asp?sSKU=3CRWE154G72

I also had my 3com g card talking to an addtron b card, so I know that
at least my 3com card will talk both g and b.  Sweet, very sweet.