[ale] diagnosis

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sat Apr 24 07:02:51 EDT 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 21:12, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Then stop worrying. The 2.4.18+ kernels have some rather aggressive
> memory caching. The buffers grow as the system is used to make data
> access faster on a reuse of old data. Some apps (mozilla) don't release
> buffer ram as fast as the chance of reuse is high. If the system needs
> more non-buffered ram, the buffers get dumped out to disk cache. Top is
> also a buffering hog.
>
> To really test the system for nefarious RAM usage, telinit S to drop to
> single user mode, then run the clean top. If that is OK, bump up to
> telinit 2, then 3 and finally 5. There is a host of stuff that runs with
> X that can be causing cache to grow over time while essentially "doing
> nothing". It really and "undocumented feature" of gnome, KDE, and X :)

The "investigation"  I ran yesterday *was* in single user mode.  And to keep
things fresh in your memory, as soon as the /var/run/utmp file exists (even
in single user mode),  memory starts disappearing from free to be used by
buffers.  If that file is not there (when I mount /var) I do not see evidence
of the memory leak.  I've never let it exhaust memory while in single user
mode, but at run-level 2 (normal) it eventually runs out of memory to
allocate.  I wouldn't really says the system crashes, but none of the
applicatoins can operate as no RAM is available for them.