[ale] Dual Boot WinXP Pro + Fedora Core 1 "You are probably out of disk space"

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 23 14:01:21 EDT 2004

Getting it all to work can be done various ways, but I'll just make a
suggestion since this is your first time.

If you can, reload a clean XP onto the entire hard drive from scratch if
possible.  NTFS should take up the entire drive at this point.  If you
can't do that, take the existing WinXP and do a disk defragment on it first.

Then load Mandrake 9.2 on it by just booting the first Mandrake CD from
the CDROM drive.  When you go to the Mandrake site, you'll notice that
10.0 is available, but I'm reading of LOTS of bugs.  I know 9.2 is the
most stable Mandrake of recent history and it's very good.  The install
process allows you to resize your NTFS partition in the install, and
works flawlessly and is the MOST user friendly way to get this going.
Finish the install, using GRUB as a bootloader in the Master Boot Record
preferably.

Try out Mandrake, if you don't like it, you can then use the partitions
created in the first Mandrake install to reload Fedora on top, just
remember when you get the disk drake (Mandrake) or disk druid (Fedora)
to NOT format the NTFS partition, all you'll need is "/boot" partition
(100MB), "/swap" partition (twice the size of your RAM), and whatever's
left as your "/" partition.

Post again if this doesn't work, but I'm confident this is your easiest
way to a dual boot scenario.  Suse Linux offers NTFS resize as well, but
doesn't offer free ISO downloads.

Cheers,

BC