[ale] backup server, cp -al, rsyncj, etc...

Keith Morris - IQ keith at iqtv.com
Fri Apr 23 11:17:10 EDT 2004

Hi everyone, I have just finished installing our company's second Linux
server. This is actually an old server that I recycled into being a
read-only backup server. I will be backing up a server that has about
400GB of data. The new server has approx. 1TB of space.

I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on doing the
backups. My first thought is to export the data to be backed up via NFS
as read-only only to the backup server. Mount that on the backup server
then use rsync in conjunction with cp -al to create rotating backups
using a combination of the procedures/scripts found here:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/#Incremental
http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/examples.html

does anyone use something along these lines, forsee any problems, or can
you point me in a better direction?

Thanks in advance!

--
:: Keith Morris