[ale] OT: Windows98 SE, bleah!

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 22 11:53:11 EDT 2004

Fixing up a donated laptop for a friend of my wife. A Win98SE thing (maybe
I'll send it to her with a Knoppix CD as a "recovery" CD). Figuring out why
I've been trying to get away from that platform.

Installed a wireless cardbus card. Hit critical updates. 16 of them! A bunch
of downloads and 3 reboots later, saw that the patches required 3 more
patches and a few more reboots. Then for non-critical updates. 2 reboots.
Then to clean the drive of deleted files. Then defragged. Literally - wrapped
it up at a little past 1:00AM. Created scheduled tasks: defrag, speed-up
apps, anti-vir system scan.

Checked Anti-Vir subscription status. Urgh. Update (and need to bill it back),
then run anti-vir. Think I'll run Norton SystemWorks from CD next, to find
any little gotchas. Then create a boot floppy and rescue floppy (or see if it
will boot from CD, and just go with Knoppix, lol).

I know it's off-topic, but given my newbie status (1 year. a little Mandrake,
Red Hat, SuSE and Debian experience) - I'd much RATHER use a good simple
clean Linux distribution.

Maybe I outta learn Scribus and write up a nice basic Linux user guide, print
it out professionally and include a live-CD (oh yeah, somebody already did
that with the "Kiss the Blue Screen whatever" book). I guess it could be done
again with a community distribution (Mandrake Community? Fedora Core?)