[ale] (no more) SPAM talk...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 21 06:07:49 EDT 2004

William Wylde wrote:
> Geoffry:
>

>>> Why bother to obfucate at all?  Why not just write a little script
>>> that removes the e-mail addresses from the posts in the archive?
>>

>> Why have an archive?
>

> I think I'm going to drop out of this thread.  It really doesn't matter
> to me, anymore.  :-) I'm subbed via a white-list only account, and my
> personal spam filters are getting just about every bit sent to my main
> account, with very few false positives (gotta love "Thunderbird").

There you go. :)

> That said, I simply thought the purpose of the archive was to give all
> and sundry access to the collective wisdom on the list- no neccessarily
> direct access to the members themselves.  I was just proposing what I
> saw as a simple solution to what people were complaining about.
> However, having read further in the thread, I can understand your desire
> to let people get answers to their questions "directly from the horses
> mouth"...

I apologize for, what may have appeared to be a short, snide response.
One of of those days when I was quite busy, but still trying to get a
point across.

As a reinforcement to retaining addresses in the archives, I've sent
private email to three different people I located in archives regarding
different issues just this past week.  I received responses from all.  I
don't always get my answers from the posts, but I often do by pursuing
further information via the private email to the poster.

This to me, is terribly powerful and most definitely too valuable to lose.