[ale] wireless b/g card talk to a b card

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Apr 20 19:08:24 EDT 2004

Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>So, I've got a b/g card and a b card.  The b card can ping the b/g card,
>>but the b/g card can not ping the b card.
>

> This is strange
> If b can ping b/g then the two can talk to each other.
> ( arp and icmp exchanges)
>
> Can you ping b from b/g while you are pinging b/g from b ?
> Is your broadcast address / netmask  wrong on b/g ?

Good suggestion.  I think, what's happening is the b/g card tries to
talk too high a rate when it initiates the connection.  If I ping the
b/g card from the b card, then try to ping the b from the b/g it works.

I then ifconfig down/ifconfig up both.  Tried to ping the b from the
b/g, no go.  I then ping the b/g from the b and it works.  If I try to
ping the b from the b/g now I can.

It's like the b/g steps down to talk to the b when the b pings it, but
it doesn't do it when it tries to initiate the connect.

I'd really like to get the b card talking a higher rate too.  It's at
5.5 and doesn't respond to rate changes via iwconfig.  Sneaker net's
almost faster then that. :(