[ale] (no subject) SPAM talk...

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Sat Apr 17 12:43:57 EDT 2004

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> 1. During that time the savvy spammer will simply spend that time slogging
> email addresses and sending millions of emails There are PLENTY of email
> addresses out there.

True.

> 2. Further, the savvy spammer will understand that people who hate spam(and
> thus obfuscate) are less likely to BUY.

Debatable.  Spammers make money from sales, but they buy addresses form
harvesters, and they pay by the address, so the harvesters don't care about the
willingness of the owner to buy spamvertised products.

> 3.  He understands that all of that effort would be wasted collecting
> sub-standard email addresses.

Someone else's effort.  Not to forget that the overlap between the virus
underground and the spam underground allows an Open-Source type of synergy.  I
don't need to spend all my time figuring out every obsfucation plan - I figure
one and publicize it to other spammers, and one of them writes another program
for another type and so on.

> 4. Mr. Savvy would rather avoid the flames that come from emailing spam
> haters.

What flames?  I've yet to see a spam with a valid reply-to address.  Hell, I've
gotten spam supposedly *from* my own address.

> 5. The spammer would probably know that slogging fresh email addresses is
> likely to result in contacting someone NEW to the internet rather than the
> battle hardened over-marketed spam hater.

That would only apply to people who put their email up by their own efforts -
anyone who is on a mailing list or Yahoo Group might have their address
obfuscated by the list system, totally independent of their willingness to buy
from spam.

> 6. The industry sells email address CDs and software that goes "with the
> grain" not against it. If you hate spam - spammers do NOT want to email you.

They don't care - every interview from the mass-mailer types makes it clear that
they think 'just hit delete' is a full defense.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.