[ale] diagnosis

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sat Apr 17 12:42:13 EDT 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 12:16, Geoffrey wrote:
> David Corbin wrote:
> > I continue to have a "problem" on one of my servers, that manifest itself
> > as a memory leak.  I'm convinced it was a case of being hacked, or it's a
> > kernel bug.  Regardless, I'd like to track it down.  I've done what I can
> > think of and what's been suggest here without success.
> >
> > Is there another group that might be more focused that someone can
> > suggest that I can turn to for help?
>
> If you believe you have been cracked, the most knowledgable security
> folks will tell you that you should reinstall.
>
> Good security would dictate that you replace this box with another that
> has a new install and set this one aside to attempt to research the
> crack.  You would also not have it connected to any network while this
> effort is pursued.

Yes, I know that.  But, I have limited hardware at my disposal.  I'm not
conviinced I'm cracked.  It's just a possibility. And since, I would be
reinstalling much the same software, I'd like to figureout how they got in
(I'm pretty good at keeping my systems up-to-date with security fixes, thanks
to apt-get