[ale] SuSE, Nvidia, and Quake 3

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Apr 14 17:21:23 EDT 2004

i grabbed a cheap agp card that is based on the nvidia geforce chipset (i think SuSE shows it to be a 440 MX) and installed it into my play machine.

upon seeing that i was not able to switch "on" 3d i downloaded the proprietary driver.  i hand edited the XF86Config file to reflect "nvidia" instead of "nv".

rebooted to a blank screen.

restarted the machine and used "no apic" and "no splash".  now when i login i see a nice nvidia splash screen and my driver shows as nvidia.

try and enable 3d and it states i must get the proprietary driver from SuSE's download site.

5 hours later it finishes downloading the driver using Online Update (i have a horrible dialup connection because some nitwit's electric fence is bleeding into my telephone line)

still says i need to download the driver when trying to enable the card features.

that said "gears" shows the fps to be almost 3 times faster using "nvidia" than using "nv".

oh well, i don't guess i need 3d for anything... so i dug out my Quake3 arena (Loki) and thought i would load it onto this AMD 1800+, 384MB machine.

it is unplayable.  even at 320x240 (think that is the lowest setting) you would think you were running it on a 33mhz (heck, i was looking for the "turbo" button!)

so can anyone give me a hint as to what i need to do to get this running correctly?

thanks,
preston