[ale] [Slightly OT] SpeedFactory offers 3.0M/384k DSL now with some stipulations

james at sumners.ath.cx james at sumners.ath.cx
Wed Apr 14 14:17:32 EDT 2004

It seems that SpeedFactory is now offering a faster DSL service to
compete with folks like Comcast. I just called them to find out all the
details on it so that I can consider upgrading my service. Here is what
I found out.

1) Current customers will have to pay a $50 reprovisioning fee to cover
costs for switching circuits. The upgrade will also extend your current
contract another year. You do not have to get any new hardware.

2) The faster circuit operates on PPPoE. So, unlike the bridged
connection like their slower services, you will have to have some sort
of device to authenticate on the network (PC, router, etc). They do not do disconnects so
it shouldn't be as lame as other providers that use PPPoE.

3) The faster service is only $5 more than their old prices. So, if you
have a static at $59.95 it would be $64.95 and you would keep your
static.

--

I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything technically interesting there. In my opinion MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making good operating systems.  -- Linus Torvalds