[ale] Internet connection question

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 8 13:27:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:27:47PM -0400, Walter Sams wrote:
> I just tried to send a reply to this email, resetting the identity to
> walter at samsco.biz and got the message kicked out with the following message
>
> Sending failed:
> One of the recipients was not accepted.
> The server responded: "not local host ale.org, not a gateway "
> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem
> (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.
> Note: Other messages will also be blocked by this message, as long as it is in
> the 'outbox' folder
> The following transport protocol was used:
> wsams

Shot in the dark: is the domain you're using samsco.biz?  By using, I
mean the hostname of the box you're attempting to send mail from is
"something.samsco.biz".  If that's the case, then the From address might
cause kmail to behave differently.  It looks like, for this message,
kmail tried to deliver the mail to the SMTP server on localhost.  I
don't know what you're setup is like, but I'm guessing you use your
ISP's SMTP server to relay your outgoing mail.  That would explain why
you can't send mail from anything @samsco.biz.

Quick test:  try using the walter at samsco.biz identity to send an email
to yourself.  Also try another identity, like walter at samsco.com, and see
if it will deliver that mail to an external address.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9