[ale] OT - Microsoft goes Open Source

Charles Shapiro cshapiro at nubridges.com
Wed Apr 7 14:55:42 EDT 2004

Yeh, I thought this was mighty innaresting. I looked at the project in
sourceforge.net and sure enough, it's an actual open source thing
licensed under the Common Public License
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl.php), an OSI-approved
open-source license. This ain't no shared-source bullpucky. It's the
real thing, giving you rights to modify and republish the code.

Good on 'em, dudes. I think this is an attempt to be responsive to their
other big audience, developers. Too bad their ability to make their
developers happier is limited by their business model.

-- CHS

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 12:48, Keith R. Watson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another sysadmin sent me this and I thought the list might like to know
> about it considering Microsoft's previous stand on the subject of open source.
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5185549.html

<<snip>>