[ale] Boot "loader" floppy (not image / rescue) with RedHat 7.2 ?

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Apr 7 14:27:00 EDT 2004

Stephan Uphoff <ups at tree.com> writes:

> Take a look at grub.

Or for the absolute essence of simplicity, build a kernel with the
root device set to your root filesystem (or run rdev on an existing
kernel image), then take your compressed kernel and "dd if=vmlinuz
of=/dev/fd0". Boot from the floppy, and your system should come up as
usual, with no pesky "which thing should I boot?" prompt. This works
because the kernel image contains a minimal bootloader.

-- Joe

> You can boot grub from the floppy.
> Grub understands hard disks and file systems and can load
> and start your kernel from your hard disk.
> No need to stuff the kernel on a floppy.
>
> William Bagwell wrote:
> > Taking an on-line class that will use RedHat, and I'm trying to avoid the
> > hassles of triple booting. During a Mandrake install it offers to put the
> > loader on a floppy. This works great for playing with new versions, keeping
> > them (mostly) separate, and the original loader safe from being filled with
> > garbage.
> >
> > All I'm finding with Google are traditional disks, and tutorials about
> > cramming 1.7 MB on a 1.44 MB floppy. The book for the class seems geared
> > towards first time (dual boot with Doze) installs, and goes into great detail
> > on making one from within Windows, to force an install when your BIOS won't
> > let you. Again, not what I need.
> >
> > Does RH 7.2 give the same choice?  If not, is there an easy way to move it
> > afterwards?  Am I just searching for the wrong thing...
> >
> > Guess I could unplug my main drive, do an install and find out. Much easer to
> > ask here first and avoid them killer dust bunnies:)
> > --
> > William

Resist the feed.
--
If you really want to get my attention, send mail to
jknapka .at. kneuro .dot. net.