[ale] Internet connection question

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 13:26:51 EDT 2004

Well, external hosting may save you some money, but your linux box won't
be doing the heavy lifting then.  Alot depends on how many accounts
you'll need to host and how many integrated services you'd like to run
off it.  I like the flexibility of doing it myself because I can create
an unlimited number of email accounts on the fly for no additional
charges, but if you've got just a few people in your organization, I
think it turns out cheaper to do it all on an offsite hosting service.
You'll be ahead of the game with hosting it yourself if you want to do a
"Groupware" solution similar to MS Exchange, with calendar, to-do, etc...

If you want to host it yourself, I recommend a fresh load of Mandrake 9.2
once you're public, static IP address is established with your DSL
provider with a business class service that doesn't block any ports.
Mandy9.2 has some great wizards that will auto-install and configure DNS,
Postfix email server, firewall, and HTTP server during the installation.
  Your Linux box will be your DHCP server for your office network then,
so you'll need two NIC's in it before starting the install.  One going to
the cable or DSL modem, and the other to a 100BaseT switch where all the
other local computers are attached to.  This setup will also allow you to
do value-add like content filtering, spam filtering, and VPN's that
terminate on the Linux box.  I've done this as a newbie over a year ago
and it just worked, first time (i was amazed).

Mandrake 9.1 does most all that too, but I think you'll have an easier
time installing fresh if you can move your data to another box for a day
or two.  Beside Mandrake 9.2 is alot nicer and doesn't have the bugs that
Mandrake 10 does.