[ale] SO vs OO

Walter Sams wsams at southernlink.net
Wed Apr 7 09:12:47 EDT 2004

My 1.5 cents on this subject:

You are on the right track here (total conversion),  the issue is not how well
you can convert but how you can use the opensource product to do your new
work. As projects are completed the need for MS will fade.

My analogy is the fuss about converting to the metric system. People are
always complaining of the difficulty of converting measurements from English
to Metric.  My answer is dont convert, just use metric measurements and soon
you will get a feel for how much is a liter, a meter etc.

In my office, I just dumped MS all together and we learn how to make OO do
what we need. We have not had to deal with presentations and very complex
spreadsheets from other offices and have not had to maintain 2 office suites.
(which would be my approach)

Walter Sams
Samsco Htg. & Air