[ale] MORE SO VS. OO

Sigmascape1 at cs.com Sigmascape1 at cs.com
Wed Apr 7 08:45:53 EDT 2004

Hello!

Recently, there has been a lot of discussion about the differences of StarOffice and OpenOffice, and their collective impact. I will admit that MS Office 2000/XP/2003 'standard' versions are superior to either SO or OO, but I must also say that the open source efforts of OO are making strides. I remember using beta versions of OO 1.0, and thinking that this is fantastic! Now here we are at version 1.1.1, and I still love the product. In time, the gap between MS Office and OO will close, and Sun will hopefully help push SO into more and more businesses (I HOPE SUN'S RECENT SETTLEMENT WITH MS IS NOT GOING TO HINDER THINGS).

I think the OO project needs some help though. An Aqua-native version of OO on the Mac would be huge move, and maybe more output options for OO's presentation app. Personally, the one feature I am asked about from client most often is the 'click anywhere on the page and type' feature of MS Word and Corel WordPerfect.

Mitch Featherston