[ale] SO vs OO

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 7 07:23:18 EDT 2004

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 20:17, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>> To me, this is such a cop out.  Very few people reuse word
>> documents.
>

> Word docs probably aren't as good an issue as Excel spreadsheets.  I
> know my company emails them left and right like bandwidth was free.
> :)

Still, the same applies.  In general there are two wide spread uses of
spreadsheets.  People use them as either databases or tables.  It's a
rare occasion to find someone who actually uses a spreadsheet as it was
originally intended (mathematically calculations on large amounts of
data).  That being said, the general cases are typical uses of the wrong
tool.  Spreadsheets used in place of a database should be replaced with
a database.  Spread sheets used as a table are easily converted to a
spreadsheet from another Office suite.

> Cross compatibility is key to getting organizations to move to OO/SO.
>  HOWEVER, the first "gaim/AIM/jabber/Y!" style war and those
> companies will move right back to MS.

I don't think the solution is cross compatibility.  I think the proper
approach is total conversion.  You don't want to be living with two
Office suites forever.