[ale] SO vs OO

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Apr 6 20:31:39 EDT 2004

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:

> My fiance uses OO and has font problems all the time when converting
> from MS word docs. The biggest problem seems to be that some fonts
> are missing directional quotation marks. When she imports a word
> document, instead of doing something sensible, like using
> non-directional quoatation marks, it puts in question marks. I tell
> her to select all and change the font until it goes away and that
> seems to work, but I don't think that would be acceptable in practice
> in a production environment, and it just feels like something is
> really wrong (even though it's probably just lousy fonts). I should
> say we had the same problem with both Knoppix and Debian stable.
> Maybe some other distro or newer versions of OO have fonts figured
> out better, though.

I've got news for you, unless you save the Office documents the right
way, you'll have the same problems with font variations.

I still go back to my original suggestion.  Continue to support legacy
documents with Office, all new docs are created with OO or SO.  You will
find that you eventually do not need Office.