[ale] MEPIS anyone?

Tom & JaVonn pairoftwins at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 4 23:30:19 EDT 2004

All:

Recently installed MEPIS Linux http://www.mepis.org/ on someone's (formerly WinME) laptop and was quite impressed.  Like Knoppix only more so.

Downloaded the premium edition 2 CDs for $10.  Debian-based, boot to KDE desktop, run graphical installer, set up partitions with QTParted (root, home, swap), Options include Samba server, Guarddog firewall, Guidedog router service, bluez bluetooth, RAID/LVM, Apache, MySQL, smail, vsftpd, SSH server, dhcp3, tftp.  Plus Mozilla automatically included JVM, mozplugger. Shockwave/Flash, RealPlayer.

After several Knoppix installs, and all the twiddling I do afterward, I'm planning to use MEPIS instead!

Tom