[ale] Copying from vi into another terminal

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Sep 29 11:30:24 EDT 2003

John Wells wrote:
> If you have a file open in vi, is there a way to highlight text and copy
> in to an X-win buffer so you can paste it in another terminal?  In other
> words, copy the text in vi, but paste to a non-vi destination.

I do this all the time with the standard X select/paste:

1. select text wilst holding the left mouse button down.
2. paste the text with the middle button, or buttons 1 and 2 if you're
emulating three button mouse.

This works for me in virtually every window on X as well as in vi (vim
here).

I've used it to cut/paste as follows: (<-> means both directions)

vi <-> mozilla
openoffice <-> vi
mozilla <-> openoffice
gnome-terminal <-> mozilla
applixware <-> openoffice
applixware <-> vi

mozilla above includes email composition as well as from browser windows
and to url field.  Also into browser forms.

I can't think of a time it hasn't worked...

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net