[ale] Lindows marches on

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Wed Sep 24 08:08:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:45:51 -0400
ale-request at ale.org wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:00:08 -0400
> From: "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Lindows marches on
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>

<Snip>

> If Lindows was being installed on some better machines, it would be
> rather cool. The Lindows machines that it is being sold on are seriously
> slow and poor quality. I have a client who bought a Lindows box. It
> really wasn't too bad. For GrandMa hho just got net access and wants to
> send email and see pictures of the grandkids, it will work just fine.
> Me? I hate waiting for Mozilla to load on a dual 1.4GHz Opteron w/ 2G
> DDR RAM from a raid 1 133MHz pair of 7200 rpm drives.

I can already tell you and I share the same types of taste when it comes to computers.

1. AMD Processors
2. There is no such thing as a computer that is too fast or has too much memory or hard drive space.
3. I hate Mozilla/Netscape. Firebird has a lot of promise. I downloaded the 0.0.6 release and installed
it on my box at work. It loads and runs a lot faster than Mozilla 1.4 and It has about the same amount
of rendering problems on web sites as the current 1.4 of Mozilla so it works on most websites without issues.

:)

I have tried Lindows, It has it's good points, and it's bad points.
the current 4.0 version is based on the Debian unstable branch of Sarge.
It's very simple to use and anyone can be taught to use it without any problems.
The click 'n' Run method of installing software onto the system is very easy to use,
but not very suited for anyone who still has to use  Dial-up, also over 90% of the software
available in the CNR library is free open sourced software that they should not be charging for.

I noticed recently that Lindows started offering paid technical support with yearly fees,
this is a good idea.
They should do this and start giving CNR to anyone who is willing to pay for technical support.
I know I'd pay for it because I still have times when I need to talk to someone about Linux about
a problem I just can not figure out.

The only thing I think they should charge for in the CNR library is the commercial software titles that
they already charge a separate fee for anyway.

also for anyone who has access to Lindows and doesn't want to pay for the CNR library check out
http://www.openlindows.com they have instructions on how to configure apt-get to use
the openlindows.com repository to get free software that hooks into the menu just like the CNR items do.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Your Mileage may vary.

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator - ESC Dept
Linux User #316727
1-770-532-2239 Extension 9404
Turbo Logistics
http://www.turbocorp.com