{Spam?} [ale] Dell laptop - recommendations?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 23 10:43:23 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 10:12, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> Key word...Latitude. The Latitude line is far superior to the Inspiron.
> I've dealt with hundreds, if not thousands of Dell notebooks over the
> last 5 years. That being said, I would second the IBM motion.

I should update my earlier rant against Dells. It has ALWAYS been the
Inspiron series that has given problems. None of my Dell owning clients
have bought the Latitude series machines (cheapskates). The difference
between the IBM models is the performance (screen size, CPU speed, ram,
DVD, cdrw, etc) and the quality is always the same. Dell, Compaq, HP
have different quality product lines (total crap, mostly crap, some
crap, overpriced for the crap you still get).

If someone is going to go for the low cost laptop, go ahead and buy the
Sager brand. It's made from the same cheap motherboards and components
as the middle and low end big name brands and costs less. The hardware
support will be about the same (ship it away for a week or so) and they
only support winders. You might get the winmodem to work and the
graphics chip will be mostly OK.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>