[ale] Who are the trainers... (was: ANN: Linux Training Class, Atlanta, GA, 13-15 Oct.)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Sep 23 07:59:23 EDT 2003

Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> Answer, all ITEC's instructors are former SAIR LCI's and LCA's,
> including ones that have "trained the trainers" for SAIR (SAIR's TPREP
> for those who know of it) that now have LPIC-1's, RHCE's, and probably
> an MCT from the "old days".  If you want more, I will ask them if I may
> disclose their individual resumes, which I am not custom to doing since
> this is a first that ITEC has been put "under the microscope" from a LUG
> before.

I think all this is quite good and healthy.  I appreciate your feedback,
and the poking/prodding of the ALE list members.  I'm also curious
regarding the trainers background.  You said nothing regarding their
formal education.  Do they hold advance degrees?  MS, Phd?  I personally
find formal education and/or job experience a greater validation of
knowledge then certifications.

I too find the cost quite high.  When I was working for AT&T, they would
pay around $1000-$1200 for a 5 day course.  And they had, without
question, the best of the best.  For example, I took an intro. to Perl
from Tom Christiansen.  Much of the internal training at AT&T was done
by either the internal experts from the Labs or contractors such as Tom.

$1000 for a three day class is really high for an intro Linux class.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net