[ale] ANN: Linux Training Class, Atlanta, GA, 13-15 Oct.

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Sep 23 02:08:17 EDT 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> (Thanks to the list admins for allowing this post.)
> The I.T.E.C. Company will be hosting a Linux Fundamentals training
> course.

I wish the admins hadn't allowed this. I don't think this sort of
advertising should be posted on the list, any more than, say, EDS should be
allowed to advertise here that they sell support contracts for Linux.
Fortunately, all the other training companies selling Linux training in
Atlanta (I can think of at least three; Red Hat, for example, runs nearly
weekly courses there) have enough sense not to do so....

That said, I think a lot of you are being too critical about the pricing and
other aspects of what's being advertised. $1000 for 3 days is not bad,
assuming the quality is competitive. Most corporate-class Linux training is
in the $2000 - $2500 / week basis.  Even at that price point, it often takes
6 (or more, depending on variables like travel for instructor) students for
a class to break even. Quality training is expensive.

I also think many posted expectations about instructors are unrealistic.
Sure, Linus as instructor would be cool, but to be honest, he's about the
last major Linux person I can think of I'd want teaching an intro admin
class for anyone I employed who I was sending to training because I wanted
them to learn basic admin skills (and I'm sure he'll tell you the same if
you ask him). What you want is someone knowledgeable, with real-world admin
experience (preferably cross-platform exposure, since students will be), and
with an ability to explain complex topics to newbies.... Those won't
generally be famous Linux people, since those aren't really the reasons
people become famous in Linux circles ;-)

later,
chris