[ale] USB A -> USB A Cable

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 21 16:06:22 EDT 2003

Nope.  The hardware does not support it.  To start with there is a very specific bit of handshaking that goes on when a device is plugged in (at the hardware level) that allows the hub to know that a device was plugged in.  Then after that the USB driver software "enumerates" the newly installed device (basicly gives it an address of sorts).  You can't enumerate a host, because it does not need an address, as its supposed to be (by protocol design) the only host on the wire.  Also, USB devices only speek when spoken to (with one specific exception IIRC).   Basicly the USB protocoll is a unidirectional one in that the host controlls everything, so it does not lead itself to multi-master communication at all.

Oh, and at the hardware level there is really nothing to "cross over" as there are a differential data pair, power, and ground.  The data lines are both transmit and recieve (half duplex) so you do not need to connect a TX line to an RX line etc.

Mike