[ale] Document Imaging under Linux

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Thu Sep 18 15:53:21 EDT 2003

I would not worry too much about file size.  A scanned 8.5 X 11 sheet at 200 dpi is about 35k.  I similar large engineering document is about 300k.  The key is the dpi.  Use 200 dpi for line drawings and simple text.  A big driver is going to be the user base and how much money or not you want to spend or not on the VIEWER.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the default tiff (group 4 compressed) is a pretty efficient file format and there are viewers everywhere.  Adobe file size is comparable but you have the work to translate.

I recommend you make the decision on your user community and the available viewers.

John