[ale] Stumbled Re: Simple steps

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Wed Sep 17 11:56:38 EDT 2003

>> > 5. Now start the new animal:
>> >  # cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
>> >  # ./sshd stop
>> >  # ./sshd start
>
> I had a local login and didn't think about this. A (slightly) better idea
> would have been:
>  # ./sshd restart
>
> BUT this assumes the new configuration _will_ run, else you're in the same
> soup.
>
> How do we do what we probably want?

Well, first I'd fix the init.d entry :o

What I've also done, in the past, is to have a second install-set; install
into /usr/test or such (with conf in /usr/test/etc), start it up on a
different non-standard port, and check it; then recompile to go where i
wanted it to be :o

Usually I just install over and do a restart, and then open another
connection to validate the new install before accidentally closing the old
one, but I have daily access to all my machines, so at worst I lock myself
out for a few hours :/

--attriel

(and the difference with RPM is that, in theory, you might be able to
assume the RPM'll work, so the restart is a valid path)