[ale] ext3 v reiserfs

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Sep 14 12:28:36 EDT 2003

Since you can strip the logs out of ext3 and get ext files, which can be
exported to other OS's which have no ext3/reiserfs support, that could be a
compelling reason to use ext3 - the ability to go to a more universally
acceptable format.  However I think that only the BSD's are this way, as
they use SoftUpdates to the ffs to solve the problems that logging are
supposed to handle.  Don't know about Solaris.

I know that RH prefers ext3 while Suse prefers reiserfs, so I have stayed
with using the preferred file system when using either RH or Suse, though
you can change it if you want.

Perhaps if you told the list what the problem/task is that you are trying to
solve/accomplish better answers might come up, as well as other pertinient
issues ?

Good Luck,

Greg