[ale] OT: Hope scholarships

Alan Stewart astewart at layton-graphics.com
Fri Sep 12 15:52:53 EDT 2003

In theory, it's a scheme to get people to voluntarily pay taxes, to
reward good students, and increase the educational level of the Georgian
workforce.

But I agree that the less economically-advantaged are more likely to
take a chance on the lottery, though I think are plenty of middle class
(and up) folks that just play it for fun. I also think grade inflation
is inevitable when all those parents complain to their teachers that
their children aren't going to get a Hope scholarship. And once they
become better informed (I say this as a native Georgian) those students
may decide there are better places to live...

My understanding is that the Hope scholarships are granted soley on
grades (B average or better)  and Georgia residency. Myself, I suspect
it would be better to spend the money on the true academic achievers
(top 10%?) as established by a combination of grades and standardized
test results and on those who truly need the money to be able to afford
college (based on tax returns) and have the grades to get in.

--

D. Alan Stewart
Senior Software Developer