[ale] Looking for PII - PIII for hacking...

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Fri Sep 12 06:57:06 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:31:02 -0400
ale-request at ale.org wrote:

> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:16:15 -0400
> From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Looking for PII - PIII for hacking...
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>
> BruceG wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > 	Any of you have a 450Mhz or better PC up for sale? I'm looking for a
> > hacking/breaking/messing around box. Not looking for keyboard, monitor or
> > mouse - just a headless box. Shoot, doesn't even have to be 450Mhz, my
> > Gateway 266Mhz PII is doing fine (384Meg RAM helped a little bit) - so
> > anything at that speed or better would be good.
> >
> > 	The goal is to install and test various packages without worrying about
> > messing up my running desktop. Figured I'd ask on the list before visiting
> > Prime or Ginstar.
>
> I picked up a pII 400 at prime for $70 a while back.  Just the box.

I picked up a PIII 933 MHz server off of ebay for 99 dollars about a week or so ago.
Check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045076337&category=1484&rd=1

with shipping charges it came out to about 134 dollars with insurance.
Should be waiting on me at home this evening according to the ups tracking number page.

now which version of Linux should I install on it???? Hmmmmm. ;)

probably gonna put slackware or JAMD-Linux on it.
Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator
Linux User #316727
1-770-532-2239 Extension 9404