[ale] OT: what about the free and open work market?

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Thu Sep 11 15:22:57 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> Regardless, I realize the point of the /. post was emphasizing the "you
> can't work in India' verses the actual content of the article.  Point
> is, this is not the first I've heard of this.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, if the India companies aren't permitted to hire
> american workers, that's no different then forbidding offshoring hear in
> the states.

I'm not quite sure what your point is; however, if you're trying to say
that if Indian companies are not willing to hire American workers *in*
India American companies should therefore be outlawed from outsourcing -
then, well, I think you're talking drivel.  It's not as though India is in
any way forcing American companies to outsource to them; this is a choice
made by those companies in order to achieve maximum profits, enhance
shareholder value, and generally uphold all that is American in the form
of capitalism.  Who American business choose to do their work has little
to do with what restrictions the Indian government wishes to make on
immigration.  It's not a matter of "working both ways" - these are
fundamentally separate issues.

--George