[ale] OT: what about the free and open work market?

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Thu Sep 11 15:18:08 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> George Carless wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Geoffrey wrote:
> >

> >>So off shoring work to India is an acceptable solution for American
> >>companies?  Try moving to India and getting a job, you can't, it's
> >>against the law, or so says this guy:
> >>
> >>http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/11/1612241.shtml?tid=103&tid=126&tid=156&tid=98&tid=99
> >

> > And what's so surprising about that?  It's a stupid article.
>
> Really?  So it's okay to ship jobs over there, but I can't go over there
> and get one of those jobs?  What happened to all this talk of global market?

I made no comment as to whether it was "okay", only as to whether it was
surprising.  I'm generally an advocate of open markets, and I would indeed
like to see a world in which you *could* 'go over there and get one of
those jobs', if you really wanted to (though I'm certain that 99.9% of
the people who complain about outsourcing would never even consider such a
move), but it should hardly be surprising that India would have
immigration controls, just as the US does.

--George