[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} JEROME.DENNANY at ROCHE.COM
Thu Sep 11 12:01:20 EDT 2003

Http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Or, in most current versions of IE, Tools --> Windows Update.

Yes, this is 'an auto-magic' patchy thing, though there are some links
you have to click to get it to work.

Frequent visits to this site, and keeping your Anti-Virus client up to
date will keep most neophytes fairly safe.

-Jerry Dennany

-----Original Message-----
From: J.M. Taylor [mailto:jtaylor at onlinea.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 10:19 AM
To: ale at ale.org

I don't actually use Windows, nor have I for...4 years now? (wow, it's
like an AA meeting...)

But I've been asked to give a security talk to our 62+ computer class
(basically, how to use a computer for anyone over 62 years old) and of
course they learn Windows.  So since there's lots of multi platform
people on ALE -- where do you go to get Windows patches?  Is there
anyplace
*other* than the apparently overloaded microsoft site to obtain them?
Is it an automagic patchy thing where they <shudder> scan your machine
over the web to determine what you need and then deliver it?

Anybody have any Windows-specific advice to give me to pass on to these
folks?  I need to keep it relatively simple, but I want to make sure
they have resources they need.  My security talks don't focus on
technology per se, but are more an overview of how to be paranoid.  But
I do want to give them some Windows specific stuff that they can follow
up on.

Many thanks, and I apologize for asking MS questions here...I just am
totally, utterly clueless when it comes to Windows.  Ignorance is bliss,
as they say.

jenn