[ale] [OT and sorry] - M$ patches and security advice?

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.com
Thu Sep 11 11:10:01 EDT 2003

I was referring to a piece of software to run on the local machine, not
a router/fw.  We actually have a LinkSys NAT firewall, but we still get
software on that Windows box...  I think it's virii or something that
comes in before the av software gets updated.

I have used ZoneAlarm, McAfee, but not Symantec.  I like zoneAlarm the
best.  IMHO, this is something that should come with the OS.

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 10:46, J.M. Taylor wrote:

> Thanks. Some questions...
>

> > 2.    I also recommend that every Windows client machine have installed
> > locally both a virus scanner and a personal firewall product.
>
> A personal firewall product...like a software fw on the windows box
> (ipchains for windows??)...isn't there one called Black Ice?  Or do you
> mean a fw appliance like a linksys cablemodem fw/router?  Or both? :)  For
> my Linux stuff, I have a fw appliance and then each machine runs iptables,
> which is probably what I'd recommend to these folks (or anyone).
>
> How hard are the personal fw products to install and configure properly?
> IE - is it pretty brain-dead to install it and have it run with decent
> default settings, or is it going to leave RPC ports open by default?
>
> Many thanks
> jenn

Best regards,

Matthew Brown