[ale] Ultraedit type editor for Linux

Nathan Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Sep 10 22:36:43 EDT 2003

I've used Linux in a server (web, dns, file / print sharing, some LDAP,
etc.) environment for a while, and am really trying to move to Linux for
my desktop OS, but I'm running into a few speedbumps.  I won't go into
the hardware issues (OpenGL, USB mouse, Umax scanner connected to an
Adaptec 2940 [instead of that stupid card that came with it], etc., I
think I've just about got those worked out), but I would like to ask for
your help in the software dept.  The one thing that I'm really trying to
find is something like Ultraedit for Linux (not Wine + Ultraedit, but
just a plain old Ultraedit type editor).  I do a lot of Web Development
type stuff (mostly PHP), and I love that with Ultraedit I can open from
/ save to FTP.  I'm using Bluefish right now, in conjunction with my
good ole cli ftp, but it's really getting old, when I can look over at
my Win2k box and think about just saving it directly to the remote box
via ftp.  Plus, I can edit pretty much anything with UE.  Have any of
you found a capable replacement?  My ideal product would have:

 - Syntax highlighting (PHP, HTML, Javascript, bash, perl, C, C++, etc.)
 - Save to / Open from FTP
 - Fast (UE is very fast at opening large files)
Pretty simple list (I think), but I'm having trouble finding anything.

many thanks!