[ale] Expert C++ Linux Developer Position, Sockets, IPC, =?iso-8859-1?q? =3D=3Futf-8=3Fq=3F?=

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Sep 10 15:23:10 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 11:59, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:16:11AM -0400, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> > > So you're suggesting that if it's from a headhunter and the contact
> > > is the headhunter, then not to post it?
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> Why?  What if some companies are so acustomed to using headhunters its
> their only way?

In my opinion and experience on another list, headhunters WILL abuse the
privilege of posting. I just wrapped up a successful (whew!!!) job search
myself, so I am fully aware of how tough the market can be. We have a
separate list specifically for this type of thing. I can't think of one
reason not to use it. Now, I'll include Jonathan's tips for a successful
job search. The following things worked for me, YMMV:

1. Try to circumvent the recruiters by any means necessary and get a
direct contact with the employer. I had 11 interviews in 2 1/2 months. 7
were scheduled using this method. 3 were direct contact. 1 was through a
headhunter. There is no doubt in my mind that had I not found ways to
work around the recruiters, I would not have had the opportunity to
complete those 7 interviews.

2. Do NOT allow yourself to lose your sense of self-worth if things aren't
going your way. Once you start down that road, you'll lose confidence and
employers will sense it.

3. Prior to an interview, ask about the company dress code and dress the
way they do. No need to wear a suit to the interview if the interviewer
is wearing shorts and a t-shirt. You'll both be uncomfortable.

4. Go into every interview with the attitude that the employer needs you
more than you need them. Do not display this overtly, but at the same
time you do not want them to smell blood in the water and take advantage
of you. A display of confidence, but not arrogance goes a long way.

5. Tailor your resume to suit the job, but do not get into a narrative. I
got excellent feedback from several potential employers who appreciated
the fact that they could identify my skills at a glance, without reading
a novel. I found the Skill/Years/Competency/Environment format to be the
easiest. Leave enough information about your duties at past jobs off your
resume to allow for some questions during the interview. Give them a
taste with the resume, then let them ask questions during the interview.
This lets you prepare for questions and helps to set the tone of the
interview.

6. While you are at the interview, do a little interviewing of your own.
You should be evaluating the company just as much as they are evaluating
you.

7. Do not settle for less than you are worth. The company will pay you
what your worth, but only if you are willing to negotiate for it. NEVER
take the first offer. Always negotiate up, even if it's only a couple
hundred dollars a year.

8. If you really want the job...not just A job mind you, but the specific
job you are interviewing for...tell them. If you have made up your mind
that this is the place for you, say so. Don't try to play it cool. Just
make your intentions clear. Employers want an employee who wants to be
there, not one who just wants to be ANYWHERE.

9. Do not try to get two companies involved in a bidding war. Decide which
one you want to work for and let them know that you are passing up
another offer and would appreciate it if they would consider matching it.
If they say no, then thank them and take the job anyway. It doesn't hurt
to ask, but you need to be willing to make a commitment if you really
want the job.

10. Finally, be honest with the employer. Everyone knows that a new
employee is going to stay "on the market" for at least a few months after
accepting a new position. If you get another offer, be honest with the
employer and tell them that you are going to interview. Don't call in
sick. The employer might value you enough to make it worth your while to
skip that interview. They could also fire you on the spot, but at least
you'll leave without having compromised your integrity.

I was fortunate to find a full time job with a great company in a
relatively short period of time using these methods. Amazingly enough,
they have given me hours that are very flexible, so I will be able to
continue to perform security consulting work as well. I realize that
individual skills and plain old luck will also play a part, but I feel
that the strategy I used played a big part in a successful search. To all
those out there searching, I wish you the best of luck. It's a tough
market, but it is not impossible to find work. You just have to really
beat the street.

As an aside, my new place of work is in the metro area, so I'll now be
able to regularly attend the meetings...hopefully all of them. :)
Yippeeee!!!

--
Jonathan Rickman
Key ID: 0DF501FF