[ale] DSL Modems

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Sep 10 16:13:27 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:01:35AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Transam wrote:
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Me too.  Call this what it is (in my opinion): FRAUD!  I'll never go back
> >to Best Buy after they demanded the original receipt for my $50 ViewSonic
> >rebait and then claimed it was not included when it was.  They also claimed
> >I waited too long to send it in which also was a lie.

> >On the other hand, all of my MicroCenter and CompUSA rebaits were processed
> >with no hassles.  I generally avoid mailin rebaits due to the chance of
> >fraud.

> I'm starting to lean that way too, although all my recent problems have
>  been with Compusa rebates.  I've had at least two situations recently
> where the items had two rebates each, and both rebate forms stated you
> must send the original upc.  So how do you do that?  In both cases, I
> ended up spending a lot of time on the phone.  One of the big problems
> is, that the rebates are processed by a 3rd party entity.  Most folks
> don't know that.  But, in my last bout with them, the rebate folks kept
> telling me to call Compusa and Compusa was telling me to call the rebate
> folks.

> I'm still waiting for a rebate from some software from Compusa.  I
> checked the status on a website that was provided, and it said I didn't
> send in the upc label.  Well, I don't screw up like that, I know I did.
>  Anyway, I called them, they had me fax to them the front page of the
> software manual.  I've still not seen my rebate yet.  That for me is the
> last straw.  If I don't get that one, I'll not buy anything with a
> rebate again.
One of the sleazy aspects is that by the time they refuse the rebate,
the time limit for protesting through your credit card usualy has elapsed.
If it has not, file a complaint with your credit card company.  BE SURE
TO ***NOT*** PAY THE PORTION OF THE CREDIT CARD BILL THAT CORRESPONDS TO
THE PURCHASE, INCLUDING TAX (to avoid getting screwed by Regulation Z).

Alternatively, return the merchandise -- even if used -- to the store and
demand a refund due to its having been sold fraudulently.  Threaten to
file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org).  Do so
if necessary.  Then take your business elsewhere 'cause it's not worth
your time to hassle.

<rant>
I hold a store responsible for the vendors it selects.  I hold a vendor
responsible for the third party it selects for any aspect of its business.
(If one of my vendors screws up and causes problem for a client and I cannot
get the vendor to "make good", I do so out of my pocket.)
</rant>

> >If you do mail them in, send them via Certified Mail and complain to the
> >BBB if you don't get satisfaction.

> It's not worth it to me to pay extra to get it to them, not to mention
> the time it takes to go to the post office.

> The latest, most widespread virus?  Microsoft end user agreement.
> Think about it...

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]