[ale] Opinions on registrars...

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Sep 3 07:39:04 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 06:33:47PM -0400, Andrew Newton wrote:

> You mean it only take 5 minutes for the change to be seen in their zone,
> right?  If they are setting the TTL's to 5 minutes, they are not doing
> you a service.

Yuo got that right.  In the past the standard has seemed to be 48 hours.
Sure it may be propagated in their zone in 5 minutes but how about top
level servers.  I bet they won't see it for 24 hours.  Depedning on the
business the change may need to take place over the weekend.  Its allways
a delicate situation.

As a test configure named on your  Linux box to use *only* top level
servers.  Modify /etc/resolv.conf to point to 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver
then do your change.  See how long it will be before you see the new IP.
Allways remeber that you may be able to see it but others may not.  It could
take 2 full days for the change to be seen around thw world.