[ale] Spam tips - maybe - if you can filter email easily

J o n K e t t e n h o f e n jonkettenhofen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 20:30:59 EDT 2003

>Black Baron's method

in spirit is similar to the extreme control freak method I posted but
more usable.
I like it because it really means allowing only the "correct" email -
all else is trash -
but one can inspect it before throwing it out.

I  got tired of maintaining so many filters (I have many valid email sources)
and I just wanted to simplify.   Having an individual filter for each
valid source
would mean over a hundred filters - but IMO, it is the most effective way to
control spam that reaches the user.

The other thing is that I dislike having to open so many folders just
to read my new
mail.

Eudora has a cool feature:  any filter can be applied to the incoming
mail or not,
and can be applied manually to any open folder or not [checkboxes allows this]
- this allows one to read the in box mail and then apply the
(checked) filters to it manually.
Another checkbox allows the individual filter to be applied to outgoing email
or not.  I haven't yet figured a good use for that checkbox.

Jon