[ale] Bandwidth tracking

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Sep 2 16:32:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 04:00:37PM -0400, griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:

> If you are looking for bandwidth utilization for each of the hosts on your LAN, and you have SNMP on either the switch or the hosts - MRTG can do that for you. Once that is up and running, you can go for a pretty front-end (like routers.cgi, that is pretty user-friendly).

what OS is on the clients.  He'll haev to install and snmp-agent for each
individual PC on the LAN.  When someone walks in and ties on then they'll
use band-width that is not accounted for.  IMHO I would use an os-independent
solution that sits outside the clients.   I'm not against MRTG I just think
it is only good for embedded devices like switches, routers, and hubs.
For uncontrollable PCs the lan needs to be monitored.  Espectially if you begin
billing people ;)