[ale] playing music without alsa or esd

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Sep 2 13:30:49 EDT 2003

On Monday 01 September 2003 03:33 pm, John Wells wrote:
> Ah...thanks.  Had tried that, but not as root, and apparently that's the
> trick.
>
> esd isn't exactly the most verbose on the error message side ;-).

Why use esd at all?  xmms doesn't need it, it'll talk directly to the sound
device.  Having looked at the source to ESD I know how terribly it works
if you use it to do that which makes it useful, like mixing streams of
different bitrates.  For what you want, just talking to the sound device
should work fine for you.

The problem was probably just that your user account didn't have perms to
open /dev/{audio,sound,mixer,sequencer}.  So be sure to change the
permissions on those devices, the run xmms.

Michael