[ale] remote investigation

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 2 09:22:35 EDT 2003

Not fun, John.

If you can, plug in a dumb hub between the box and the outside world,
add a second box on that hub and turn on the net sniffers. You need to
determine if you have massive data exchange going on or is the problem
solely internal.

If the issue is massive data exchange, you have a security issue that
needs a hard drive backup, followed by a thorough system disinfection
running from known good binaries.

If the system is not getting massive IP traffic (or UDP for that
matter), then it is clearly internal. Linux doesn't just "break".
Something must be failing for that to happen. Restart your mail and web
servers one at a time. If the issue cleans up, then the one hat solved
the problem was spewing bad bits. Try running top to see if a process
has looplocked and is now eating up all your CPU time (think web script
in an infinite loop [been there, done that, ate all 16 CPU's on a Sun E
system once ;) ] ).