[ale] Opinions on registrars...

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.com
Tue Sep 2 08:56:49 EDT 2003

My 2cents...

I host for a few clients, and I notice a LOT less trouble when using netsol.  Now of course they are the evil empire, etc., etc., but they're customer service is WAY better than some of the others I've seen, and at least they're based in my own country, so if things go sour somehow, I have the laws of only one country to deal with rather than crossing borders.  I think it was idirect.com (?) that is out of India.  They had a great web UI, but just try to find a human to work out something with -- and their registrar confirmation process was awful.

ALSO, I've noticed some registrars are slower than others in propogation of DNS changes.  This is REALLY annoying for moving customers over, or for making changes.  It can take a one weekend process and turn it into a 5-day process.

Anyway, not defending anyone's business practices, but DNS is hard enough without a fouled-up registrar.