[ale] ssh, DISPLAY, X11Forwarding

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Tue Sep 2 01:24:55 EDT 2003

Since using no cipher isn't possible in Openssh, maybe a VPN tunnel
would be in order.  It's too bad there isn't an option in Openssh that
would allow you to encrypt the login and password but elect to have the
data go in the clear.  That would be helpful in many user based
situations.
Dow

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 08:12:56AM -0400, David Corbin wrote:
> OpenSSH doesn't appear to allow "none", unfortunately.

No, it doesn't.  But, you should be able to create a null cipher with
openssl, then configure openssh to use the null cipher for some hosts.
I have no idea exactly how to do this, though.

There's also this patch[1] to add 'none' to the encryption methods in
openssh.  The patch is for openssh-3.0.2p1, but it's very simple, so it
might work for other versions as well.

[1] http://membled.com/work/patches/openssh/

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9