[ale] OT: no more active X in IE?

J o n K e t t e n h o f e n jonkettenhofen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 12:28:10 EDT 2003

OK, this will date me!

I once read an IBM patent filed in the '80s that claimed features
used in a terminal
(like protected, read-only, fields) which I used (no, not programmed) on Univac
terminals during the late '70s.  So I have to ask: will M$ appeal?
It not, what
else is going on under the table?

Typically when one big company sues another for patent infringement,
the aggressor
intimidates the defendants with an additional  fistful of patents
(alleged violations).
  Many of those patents, though granted, are based on pre-existing (to
the patent)
technology which was never patented by the author - something not
easily checked
by the patent office.  It's very expensive for the defending legal
team to research
and invalidate the bogus remaining patents waived at them, so they often settle
the suite.  Even so, I would be surprised if M$ does not contest the ruling.