[ale] Set up Dial-in for RH9

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 22 15:17:07 EDT 2003

Scott McLean wrote:
> Hi, let me start by saying I'm one week into the world of Linux, so I
> know next to nothing, and feel as if I'm learning a foreign language.
> So please forgive me if my questions seem over-simple.

Not a problem.  You might want to subscribe to the list though, as this
posting was delayed until approved because you're not a list member.

> I am trying to set up dial-in access on a Red Hat 9 server.  I've
> read a lot of the guides that are on the internet, and while they
> make some sense to me, I have a few questions.
>
> Almost all the guides refer to using the mgetty program, however RH9
> comes with mingetty.  Will this also work?

No, mingetty was designed primarily for your console.  If mgetty is not
installed, you should be able do install it relatively easily.

> Most of the information I've read says to add a line similar to this,
> in the /etc/inittab file:
>
> S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS2 -D /dev/ttyS2
>
> Is this line added to the bottom of the inittab file?  Or does it
> replace one of these lines, which are already in there?

There's likely an entry for that device commented out already in the
inittab file.  As long as you don't already have on in there, you can
add it pretty much anywhere in the file.  I'd suggest locating any
comments that refer to modem entries and add it in that area for
consistency sake.

Note, you want to make sure you've got the correct device. The entry you
noted above references ttyS2 which would correspond to your 3rd serial
port, com3 in windows terminology.

You don't want to replace any of the lines you noted below, as those are
for you virtual console terminals.

> #Run gettys in standard runlevels

> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
> 2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
> 3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
> 4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
> 5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
> 6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
>
> After that, the guides I've read lose me.  Would someone mind
> explaining what I do next, preferable translating Linux to English,
> since I am still not very familiar with all the commands.

Post references to the sections you don't understand and we'll see if we
can assist.  First though, subscribe to the list so that your postings
won't sit in hold waiting for them to be approved.